Odpowiedz do tematu
guild wars 2 gold Civil Liberties in the Post-911 Era
aJ5dY4aD9y
Go¶ć

Odpowiedz z cytatem
Civil Liberties in the Post-911 Era1 comments, 1 called-out Comment Now Follow Comments Following Comments Unfollow Comments Comment Now Follow Comments Following Comments Unfollow Comments Jason Kuznicki has one of the most stirring 9/11 posts I’ve read . Forgive me a longer-than-usual excerpt: September 11 was the day “Orwellian” stopped being an argument against anything. [url=http://www.goldvk.com/Game.gw2_us.Guild Wars 2.gw2.Gold.Info.aspx]guild wars 2 gold[/url] It became a checklist. My country started collecting various-sized bits of Nineteen Eighty-Four like so many grim commemorative postage stamps. Constant surveillance. Constant warfare. Constant suspicion. Last week’s enemy is this week’s friend, is next week’s enemy, and woe is you if you can’t keep up—Gadhafi, Putin, Arafat, Chirac. Censorship? Making steady progress . We didn’t get Victory Gin, but we did get Freedom Fries; close enough for government work. Oh yes, and torture. Because we are the greatest hegemonic power, and because we can do no wrong, and in the end, just because we fucking can , okay? Who though is this “we”? It is the deepest, most festering wound of 9/11. Someone does something shameful, somewhere, maybe just once, usually in secret. Someone’s data mining. Someone’s spying on citizens. Someone imprisons, with neither an indictment nor any other cover of law. Someone puts people on a secret plane, to a place where electrodes and power drills are the standard interrogation protocol. Someone cuts out the middleman and just tortures in place. Someone orders American citizens assassinated. Someone starts an illegal war. In a braver time, these acts would have kindled a revolution. Someone , however, is an agent of the state. Therefore someone wasn’t the real actor. No, we did it—that’s the core of the lie, right here, that that someone is us. [url=http://www.goldvk.com/Game.gw2_us.Guild Wars 2.gw2.Gold.Info.aspx]guild wars 2 gold[/url] Sooner or later, we find out about the thing we did. We say, in the awful light of morning, that we did it because we are fighting a dirty enemy, and maybe we have to embrace the dark side just a little bit if we’re going to win. But really we did it because we were afraid. But really, we didn’t do it. But really, the ones who did it will keep right on doing it. That’s what’s changed, post-9/11. In the end, we didn’t have the will to fight. We fought the terrorists, sure, and plenty of others who didn’t even attack us. But we didn’t have the will to fight as they took our civil liberties away. We didn’t even have the will to punish them afterward. The word “we” is the pawl on the ratchet of state power. It’s the little catch that ensures there’s no backsliding. The we clanks ever onward. The sun shines, the rain falls; the economy is good, or it’s bad. [url=http://www.goldvk.com/Game.gw2_us.Guild Wars 2.gw2.Gold.Info.aspx]gw2 gold[/url] It doesn’t matter. The abuses haven’t gone away. We’ve mostly just gotten used to them. Follow me on Twitter or Facebook . Read my Forbes blog here . xboter 2014
Reklama

guild wars 2 gold Civil Liberties in the Post-911 Era